Friday, November 4, 2011

Adventures with the Class of 2018 - Chapter One

This class is the reason why I should have started this blog earlier. So my story that follows will make up for a little lost time not yet discussed with my readers about previous lessons with the current second grade students at St. Emily in Mt Prospect, IL and take things to current times.

My experience with them in Kindergarten almost two years ago planted the seed that makes me want to teach JA to this group of students until their eighth grade graduation in 2018. I have not told that to these students yet, as I have several years to go and (hopefully) future commitments, some of which may interfere with this goal. But accomplishing this and continuing my Global Connections program (to be discussed in a future blog) at this school are two JA priorities with me in the coming school years.

Let me go back to Spring of 2010 when I first had these students in two separate Kindergarten classes; about 15 in each class. I remember immediately noticing how well the children networked and got along with each other in both classrooms. They were interested in what I taught them - this was most evident when each lesson started. With the JA curriculum in kindergarten ("Ourselves" - 5 lessons of about 30 minutes in duration), the volunteer begins by reading a story and sharing pictures from a large storybook that is included in the JA kit that the volunteer uses. After the story, there is a short activity that the students participate in - typically related to the story and reinforcing the learning elements. At this level, children are learning about trading/exchanging one item for another and then how money can be used and saved to obtain things we need. Good basics to begin learning at that age!

With so many JA classes there often comes a "magic moment" when you know that somehow you have connected with the kids. This can be a remark, an action, something that is said sometimes long after the JA lessons have been presented. At this age, just a sign of deep thought, reflection, learning or appreciation is special because they are so young to expect anything more.

Well, the first "magic moment" with this group came on the last day when I delivered the last lesson called "Dylan and the New Playground". I arrived that morning and sat down in the chair next to the carpet where all the students sit to listen to stories. That day as with previous days, most of the children sat right up to the edge of the carpet - barely an inch to move my feet. I begin by reading the paragraph on each page, followed by sharing the illustration on the page. In this story, the students at the school join together to raise money to build a new playground by reading with their friends and family and getting "paid" for each page they read. On the third page, there is a picture of Dylan riding home in the car with his mother, explaining what the students plan to do to build a new place to play. As with previous stories, I showed the kids the picture on the page - here is the exchange between two girls in the class sitting right in front of me:

First Girl (pointing at Dylan) - "He's sitting in the front seat!"
Second Girl - "Oh, he's not supposed to be sitting there"
First Girl - "No, he shouldn't be sitting there at all!"
Second Girl (looking straight at me, dead serious expression) - "My parents let me sit in the front seat once. But it was just around the block."

The myriad of thoughts and emotions that went through my mind at that point were unreal. And even though that "magic moment" was not directly related to the "moral of the story" I knew at that point that I had connected with those kids - they were interested and eager to learn.

Now as for relevant learning with these students - flash forward to October 26th - my first class with the second graders of the "Class of 2018" and my third year with these students, now numbering 28 in only one classroom. As I enter, several students say "Hello, Mr.Wick!" and some are whispering "Junior Achievement!" with a good deal of excitement. I greeted them and said, "This is my third year with you. Do you remember what we learned in Kindergarten about ourselves?" "We learned about money", said one boy. Another girl chimed in "we got savings banks!" "Very good" I acknowledged  "... and  who remembers what we talked about last year?"  "Wants and needs" said another student immediately.

Nice to start this class with another "magic moment."  I'm certain there will be many more with the "Class of 2018".

No comments:

Post a Comment